- Professor Laure Murat continues her series in French newspaper Libération, translated to English for RAVE audiences. Follow link to read!
- Professor Judith Butler, Maxine Elliot Professor of Comparative Literature at UC Berkeley, gave a guest lecture, titled “This is What Resistance Looks Like,” on Wednesday, February 15 in 2355 Luskin School of Public Affairs. Click here for the event flyer: judith-butler.
- Professor Laure Murat has published an article, titled “Journal de bord en Trumpland: enseigner, organiser, résister!”. Please see here for the French original (12-journal-de-bord-en-trumpland-enseigner-organiser-resister-liberation) and here for the English translation (a-journal-in-trumpland).
- Professor Ananya Roy has published an article, titled “The Infrastructure of Assent: Professions in the Age of Trumpism,” in The Avery Review.
- #J18 CALL
Poised between Martin Luther King, Jr. Day and the presidential inauguration, #J18 is an opportunity to affirm the role of critical thinking and academic knowledge in challenging Trumpism. We are asking educators and students across the United States and around the world to consider organizing a program or classroom activity on that day which speaks to the many issues and themes related to this national and indeed global moment. Our #J18 website will collect such information and serve as a platform that connects these numerous nodes of education and protest.
At UCLA, we anticipate a full day of teach-ins, actions, assemblies, performances, and panels. Whether it is a public event or a discussion in your classroom, we urge you to sign up for #J18 here: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSeYGV7HUWAFr3-xtuV2HHjbp8qpoefhaE6jDnFDBun_o_D-fA/viewform . As you will notice, you can provide preliminary information at this time and later update your registration with more details. For all UCLA events we ask that you try to avoid conflict with a campuswide #J18 event that is being planned for 5–7 p.m. in Ackerman.
Please forward this information to colleagues and students at UCLA and beyond so that they can join in #J18. For more information, contact Ananya Roy (Professor of Urban Planning and Social Welfare, Renee and Meyer Luskin Chair in Inequality and Democracy, UCLA) at email@example.com.
On behalf of:
- Professor Aliza Luft has published the following blog about Vichy France and state violence.
- The University of California has issued the following statement in support of undocumented members of our community. For the full statement, please read the following document: statement-of-principles-in-support-of-undocumented-members-of-uc.
- Please click uc-csu-ccc-daca-letter-final-11-29-16-00000002 to read the letter sent by Janet Napolitano (President, University of California), Timothy White (Chancellor, California State University), and Eloy Ortiz Oakley (Chancellor-Designate, California Community College) to President-Elect Donald Trump on November 29, 2016. And here is the latest New York Times op-ed piece from Janet Napolitano on immigrant and DACA students.
- Professor Ananya Roy published the following article in Society & Space.